Wednesday, January 23, 2008

National Pie Tragedy


As most of you know, January 23rd – today, unless my medication needs adjusting – is National Pie Day. Since I include a piece of pie in almost all of my cartoons and have done so for years, one would naturally assume that I would be a fundamental part of this great celebration. But I have been snubbed.

All across the land people are rejoicing, families are gathering and giving thanks, congregations are praying, school children are singing about pie. But not one word is being uttered about Bizarro, which celebrates pie not just on a single day in January, but all year long. I wasn't asked to ride in a parade atop a pie made of geraniums, I wasn't interviewed by USA Today, I wasn't a guest on Larry King Live. I wasn't even called by some corny morning DJ to talk live on the air about what this day means to me. Instead, my wife and I will celebrate quietly in our tiny Brooklyn apartment with our two cats and a half-dozen (vegan) pies.

I blame capitalism. Greedy retailers have taken all the meaning out of National Pie Day and turned it into a money-grubbing orgy of merchandise and services. What once was a meaningful celebration of a time-honored staple in every person's life, has become another way to line our pockets with soul-draining cash and fill our homes with useless baubles and electronic gizmos to distract us from the real meaning of pie.

Let us not forget on this special day, that pie is not about cash and gifts and merchandise. It's about flaky crust. It's about juicy fruits and syrupy goodness, shared with family and friends. It's about the bounty of Mother Nature's Bosom, flowing forth with fruits and vegetables and grains, captured at their paramount in a round, portable disk of life-giving flavor.

Without pie, we would be nothing more than a nation of cartilage-gnawing barbarians.

http://www.piecouncil.org/national.htm

9 comments:

TheGreatOne said...

I cannot believe that not one person or organization has contacted you for your views on this subject. Maybe its the stick of dynamite that also accompanies your daily cartoon...

Canuck said...

I find it somewhat absurd that someone who advertises and promotes this fruit delight on a daily basis doesn't even get a mention on this National Pie Day. NPD Committees all over the continent should be ashamed -and I am thinking your mailbox will be soon filling with numerous apologies, and offers of retribution for their ignorance.
If it makes you feel any better, I have tucked a slice of apple pie under the corner of the sofa, and another one under the kitchen table just as a reminder of the REAL PIEMAN--and to celebrate quietly in our own special Bizarro kinda way.
Heaven knows what will happen on National Eyeball Day--I sure hope they do better than the pie folks.

Chumgrinder said...

Happy pie day, dude!

You spiced up today for me with your cartoon about the pacifist gorillas. I realize your politics are nothing like mine, but today you spoke to mine. :-) This is now my second-favorite Bizarro cartoon, next to the one where the gun is screaming "Give me all your money!" and the guy holding the gun is saying, "You better do what he says, he's really out of control."

Micgar said...

Happy Pie Day-I didn't know that it was PD! Just wondering...have you ever told anyone: awww, shut your damn pie hole!(?)That could be a funny 'toon with a pie screaming and a spatula saying that! Hey , just an idea-that only you could draw!

Anna Banana said...

March 14th (3.14) is Pi Day. Just saying.

PHILIP FOUNTAIN said...

I had just come back into the house after putting up several strands of pie lights only to sit down at my computer's monitor and read your post. I agree that corporate greed has ruined Pie Day. I just got back from The Mall where lines of snotty-nosed kids were in line to sit on the Pie Day Tart's lap and have their snotty little pictures taken. Not one of them looked the least bit appreciative of all that pies have done for us and our country. It broke my heart.

greg oakes said...

i just wanted to stop by and say "shut yer pie hole!!!" 'cause i thought it would be funny. ;) *sigh* be strong dan! peace,... of pie *groan* ~go

Anonymous said...

Maybe they're waiting for March 14th to properly acknowledge your commitment to pi.

My calendar is marked.

-Amanda

HollyBerry said...

aww my boyfriend would be as disappointed as you, if not more. he is in LOVE with pie (cherry, to be exact) and would also be heartbroken that nobody has recognized such an art-ful day. peace