Sunday, April 27, 2008

Jesus Camp

I saw a movie a couple nights ago called "Jesus Camp." It's a documentary from 2006 about an evangejical, fundamentalist, Christian summer camp for kids. It won some awards, is very even-handed, and just lets the subjects of the film tell the story, without pushing the filmmakers' opinions.

It may surprise some of you to know that I was sort of a "teen for Jesus" for a few years back in the early 70s, and went through some of the sort of evangelical Christian indoctrination that the film depicts. I was older than the kids in the film, and so was better able to form my own opinions about what they were teaching. Still, it is difficult for kids to discern between fact and fiction, and I believe that heavy indoctrination in anything as a child has the potential to cloud your reasoning skills later on. The ease of the Neo-cons and Fox News in convincing people that the ridiculous things they were spouting were true, and everything the rest of the world was saying was false, is a case in point.

See the film, quake in your boots, do not fail to vote, and get a hundred of your reasonable-minded friends to do the same.

10 comments:

Dan said...

I had the same indoctrination in the 70's. Thank goodness for sex, drugs, and rock-and-roll.

Michael Tallon said...

I've been wanting to see this movie since they first released it but haven't had an opportunity to catch it. You make an excellent point about children not being able to discern between fact and fiction, so Jesusifying them that young is no different than Hitler indoctrinating the Nazi youth or children in Africa made into soldiers wielding automatic weapons. But today's Bizarro was crazy...

me said...

I _tried_ to watch that movie but only got 2/3 of the way through before the fury got to be too much. Some of that stuff has got to be child abuse. *grrrr*

Reyortega said...

Future rebels

Reyortega said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jezzka said...

ahhh, was this the film you were trying to tell me about last week, but couldn't recall? i heard about this film, it's been getting a lot of attention in the doc world; i'll check it out...

speaking of docs, will be filming the ending to my doc this summer. looking into self distributing by early next year, i hope, so keep your eyes peeled and ears to the ground...

Daniel Joseph Sardella said...

Haven't seen this one but I just added it to my Netflix queue.
A similarly scary documentary is
'Hell House' (2001).

Piraro said...

I call people like the ones in this movie the "American Taliban." I resisted using the term "child abuse" in my blog entry, but I agree with that assessment completely. Even though the evangelical vote has weakened a bit in the last couple years, the worst is yet to come as these folks keep breeding and brainwashing their children. Our worst terror threats have always been from within the country and that trend will only continue. Another reason I love NYC. There are very few religious fanatics of any kind here.

Jezzka said...

RE: danman's comment, so cool to hear hell house mentioned, it only got mild distribution, so only hardcore doc fans really know about it...kudos.

i worked with the editor and cinematographer of hell house. well, i personally did not work on hell house, but i worked with them on a feature doc soon to be released, it's an amazing story about the cluster bomb search teams in lebanon.

Daniel Joseph Sardella said...

Jezzka:

I used to work for east coast retailer Newbury Comics for 8 years. We would receive a lot of promo DVDs and 'Hell House' was one of them so that's how I came to see it. I'm interested in the yet to be released doc that you worked on. Take care.