Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Nothing's Free

Today's Bizarro is brought to you by Puns International. "A day without orange Jews is like a day without punshine!"

The basic idea for this cartoon came from an odd character up in Rhode Island who calls himself Derek. He writes cartoons all the time and sends me seemingly thousands every couple of hours. If you've sent me an email recently that was returned because my inbox was full, it was likely one of Derek's massive submissions that did it.

Most are pretty good, but not appropriate for Bizarro, for one reason or another. But when I spot one I can use, I like to give it breath, and this is one of those. Because puns are the simplest and most common form of humor, I tend to shy away from them unless they are very strange, terrifically unexpected, make me laugh out loud, or are in some other way unique. This one hit me as very funny, and still does. Hope you like it, my bloggy buddies.

Oh crap, after writing all that I just noticed this isn't really a pun. Why did I think that?

5 comments:

Eric said...

It is definitely a play on words tabeshar...which if you follow the strict Dictionary.com definition:
1. the humorous use of a word or phrase so as to emphasize or suggest its different meanings or applications, or the use of words that are alike or nearly alike in sound but different in meaning; a play on words.
I think it works as a pun...and it IS pretty funny to me, especially with the visual of the guy fishing out his wallet.

Craig Zablo said...

It may not be a pun but it was very, very punny, er, funny.

Superhero Spouse said...

OK, Dan, I just laughed out loud because all along I was buying that it was a pun. See, I just believe you when you tell me things.

monkeyfeather said...

Made me laugh out loud.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your real pun today. It was in Seine and punny, real punny.

It helped me get on with my life at at moment when my Usenet server is down and I can't post or read a damn thing. (I know, I'm really, really old, that's why I still use Usenet news.)

So we have to wait a week before we learn your enlightening insigh(t)s on it?