Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sexy Beast


Bizarro is brought to you today by Second Amendment Mailboxes.

Here's an example of a cartoon I wasn't sure all of the editors of my client newspapers would tolerate, but I got no complaints so that is good. Not 15 years ago, the term "gay" was not allowed on most funny pages, so perhaps the country has evolved. That tends to happen as older editors are replaced by younger, hipper ones.

There is no deeper meaning or grand statement made here, I just thought that a gay Chewbacca was funny. I originally conceived of the joke as a gay Bigfoot, but couldn't find the right caption for it. Having him head out to a comics convention seemed a good vehicle, so I changed him.

I submitted this cartoon almost two months ago, but just last week I saw a hilarious sketch on "Important Things with Demetri Martin" about a gay Bigfoot. Hitting upon the same idea is something that happens frequently to cartoonists and humor writers of all kinds. One of my cartoons that ran in the paper this week was apparently very close to a very old "Far Side" cartoon and a couple of people wrote to me about it. I'll talk more about that when I post the cartoon next week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the comic, but am also surprised they passed it.

Venture Brothers has gay bigfoot living in a remote cabin with the six million dollar man.

Anonymous said...

There was also a gay bigfoot on "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" a while back.

Anonymous said...

Gives a new meaning to the slang term 'bear'